Impressively small despite having a large full-frame sensor, the Canon EOS RP offers flexible imaging capabilities along with a portable form factor. Featuring a high-resolution 26.2MP full-frame CMOS sensor along with a DIGIC 8 image processor, both stills and video can be recorded using a broad sensitivity range to suit working in a variety of lighting conditions. The sensor also facilitates an advanced Dual Pixel CMOS AF system, which on-sensor phase-detection points for quickly and accurately acquiring focus during stills and video operation. Complementing the sensor and processor, the RP also sports a 2.36m-dot electronic viewfinder along with a rear vari-angle touchscreen LCD monitor for easier viewing from high and low angles. Additionally, Wi-Fi and Bluetooth allow for wireless remote camera control along with direct image sharing to linked mobile devices.
- Canon RF Lens Mount
- The EOS RP features the RF lens mount, which support Canon’s line of RF-mount lenses. This mount is characterized by its wide 54mm diameter and short 20mm flange-back distance, which promotes the ability to design lenses that are both faster and smaller than their SLR equivalents. The mount also incorporates a 12-pin electronic contact system for more sophisticated autofocus and image stabilization capabilities. This mount design also lends full compatibility to existing EF and EF-S-mount lenses via an optional EF-EOS R Mount Adapter.
- 26.2MP Full-Frame CMOS Sensor and DIGIC 8 Image Processor
- A large 26.2MP full-frame CMOS sensor is featured and serves as an ideal balance between high-resolution output, low-light performance, and high-speed capabilities. When paired with the DIGIC 8 image processor, the EOS RP has a wide sensitivity range for working in a variety of lighting conditions.
- Dual Pixel CMOS AF
- Dual Pixel CMOS AF offers smooth and fast focusing performance in a similar manner to how a camcorder acquires focus. This system integrates two separate photodiodes within each pixel to provide a broad and dense network phase-detection gathering elements across a majority of the image sensor to reduce focus hunting for faster, more direct control of focus placement. When working with still imagery, this focusing system works to acquire focus quickly and accurately, making it ideally suited to shooting and tracking moving subjects so that critical focus is attained with each shot. When shooting video, a Movie Servo AF mode offers smooth and natural focusing when changing from different subjects or different distances within the scene, as well as the ability to specify tracking sensitivity, AF speed, and Face Tracking priority. Benefited by the Touch AF system, rack focus is possible simply by touching elements within the scene on the touchscreen in order to change focus in an intuitive manner. Subject tracking in movies is also heightened due to the Dual Pixel CMOS AF system’s ability to recognize subjects and maintain focus when working within changing or cluttered scenery.
- Body Design
- Integrated 2.36m-dot electronic viewfinder affords a bright and clear means for eye-level viewing.
- Rear LCD features a vari-angle design for easier use when working from high, low, and front-facing angles. It is also a touchscreen for intuitive control over shooting, playback, and menu navigation controls.
- Built-in Wi-Fi and Bluetooth connectivity enable wireless sharing, control, and image transfer with a compatible smart device via the Canon Camera Connect app, which also supports geotagging your files using your mobile device’s location data.
- In-camera charging over USB is supported for easier on-the-go charging.
Canon RF 24-105mm f/4-7.1 IS STM Overview
Sleek and versatile, the Canon RF 24-105mm f/4-7.1 IS STM is a well-rounded zoom covering wide-angle to short telephoto focal lengths to benefit working in a wide variety of conditions. A variable maximum aperture also helps to maintain an impressively compact profile to suit everyday shooting needs. Complementing the flexible design is a unique Center Macro Focus position, which enables working with close-up subjects at a 1:2 maximum magnification ratio, and an Optical Image Stabilizer also helps to achieve sharp imagery by minimizing the appearance of camera shake. Also, an STM motor affords impressively quiet and smooth autofocus performance and full-time manual focus override. Additionally, a configurable Control Ring lets you adjust exposure settings, including ISO, aperture, and exposure compensation, from the lens itself.