With a wide focal-length range and a constant f/4 aperture in a compact form factor, the Sony E PZ 18-110mm f/4 G OSS Lens offers videographers and cinematographers a versatile lens choice for lightweight operations. While the lens may seem small, it has professional features to back it up. The 18-110m focal-length range covers moderately wide to narrow angles-of-view. Sony’s built-in Smooth Motion Optics leverage the internal mechanics of the lens to minimize focus breathing, focus shifting, and other anomalies that would otherwise be noticeable when adjusting the lens during recording.
The body of the lens sports separate focus, zoom, and iris rings for complete manual control. Just pull the focus ring back and full-time manual focus is engaged. The focus ring itself has built-in cinema-standard gearing for follow-focus compatibility. Zoom functionality can be operated both manually and electronically. The zoom ring is connected to the lens mechanically, so crash-zooms can be achieved without lag. Iris operation can be done automatically, or by rotating the iris ring. By disengaging the iris click switch, manual iris adjustments can be made smoothly.
For smaller, less robust cameras, a quick-release tripod foot is included. The foot secures towards the rear of the lens for tripod use. Alternatively, a conventional lens support can be attached near front of the lens for compatibility with rod-based lens supports. The filter thread will accept 95mm-diameter round filters and the included lens cap. A lens hood is also included for minimizing flare. The hood’s shuttered design can be closed when the camera is not in use.
- Smooth Motion Optics
- Sony’s SMO (Smooth Motion Optics) design and construction minimizes optical shifts that can have a negative impact on image quality. Focus breathing is minimized by an internal focus mechanism, focus shift while zooming is eliminated by precise focus tracking adjustment, and axial shift is minimized by a constant-length design.
- Versatile Zoom Control
- In addition to a smooth servo zoom, mechanical manual zoom ensures precise control with an immediate response. The desired angle of view can be accurately reached by preventing over or undershoot due to lag. Zoom ring direction can be easily switched as required, smooth, slow powered zoom is supported, and an inner zoom mechanism means that the length of the lens remains constant, regardless of focal length.
- Professional Focusing Features
- The focus ring slides back to quickly engage manual focusing. Cinema-standard MOD 0.8 gear teeth are built into the focus ring, enabling use of standard follow focuses without requiring cumbersome focus gear accessories.
- Compact Design
- The lightweight form-factor of this lens contributes to the kind of mobility that active movie shooting demands. Small size and low weight can be advantageous when using gimbals and other types of support as well.
- Optical SteadyShot
- Built-in Optical SteadyShot (OSS) image stabilization helps to keep recorded images stable and free of excess blur in a wide range of handheld or locked-down shooting conditions involving camera movement.
- Weather Resistance
- A dust and moisture-resistant design provides extra protection and ensures reliable operation in challenging environments and inclement weather. Shoot with confidence in light rain or windy conditions.