Tamron SP 85mm f/1.8 Di VC USD Lens
Available in below mounts:
- Nikon F Mount/FX Format
- Canon EF Mount/Full-Frame Format
- Sony A Mount/Full-Frame Format
- Aperture Range: f/1.8 to f/16
- One LD Element and One XLD Element
- eBAND and BBAR Coatings
- Fluorine Coating on Front Element
- USD AF Motor, Full-Time Manual Focus
- VC Image Stabilization
- Rounded 9-Blade Diaphragm
- Moisture-Resistant Construction
- Compatible with TAP-in Console
- For Canon, Nikon and Sony cameras
An ideal focal length for portraiture, the SP 85mm f/1.8 Di VC USD Lens from Tamron is a short-telephoto prime designed for FX-format Nikon F-mount DSLRs. Incorporating one Low Dispersion element and one Extra Low Dispersion element into the optical design, this lens is adept at reducing chromatic aberrations and color fringing for a high degree of clarity and color accuracy, as well as sharpness and resolution. BBAR and eBAND coatings have also been applied to minimize flare and ghosting for increased contrast when working in strong lighting conditions, and a rounded nine-blade diaphragm contributes to a pleasing bokeh quality to benefit shallow depth of field imagery. Classic in terms of focal length yet optimized for the recent breed of high-resolution DSLRs, this portrait-length prime melds a familiar perspective with contemporary performance.
Complementing the optical assets, this lens is also characterized by Vibration Compensation image stabilization, which minimizes the appearance of camera shake by up to 3.5 stops for sharper handheld shooting. Also aiding in creating sharp imagery, a robust ring-type USD autofocus motor with an optimized USD actuator is used for noticeably fast and accurate focusing performance. This focusing system also lends itself to full-time manual focus control for fine-tuned precision. A moisture-resistant physical construction enables its use in trying environments and the front element has also received a fluorine coating to guard against smudges and moisture from affecting image quality. Additionally, this lens is compatible with the optional TAP-in Console for fine-tuning focusing performance and updating the lens’ firmware.
- An ideal portrait-length prime, this 85mm lens is designed for FX-format Nikon F-mount DSLRs, and is also compatible with DX models where it will provide a 127.5mm equivalent focal length.
- Fast f/1.8 maximum aperture benefits working in low-light conditions and also affords extensive control over focus placement for greater separation of subjects from the background, as well as the ability to produce selective imagery.
- Both LD (Low Dispersion) and XLD (Extra Low Dispersion) glass elements are incorporated in the 13 elements, 9 groups optical design, and contribute to a marked reduction in chromatic aberrations and color fringing throughout the aperture range.
- eBAND (Extended Bandwidth & Angular-Dependency) and BBAR (Broad-Band Anti-Reflection) coatings have been applied to lens elements to reduce surface reflections and prevent lens flare and ghosting for increased contrast and color accuracy.
- VC (Vibration Compensation) image stabilization is incorporated into the lens’ design to minimize the appearance of camera shake by up to 3.5 stops for sharper handheld shooting in low-light conditions.
- Ring-type USD (Ultrasonic Silent Drive) motor and an optimized USD actuator are employed for fast, precise, and quiet autofocus performance that benefits both stills and video recording. This motor also enables full-time manual focus control without having to shift into a dedicated MF mode.
- Moisture-resistant construction incorporates seals around the lens mount and other areas to benefit working in inclement conditions. Additionally, a fluorine coating has been applied to the front lens element to repel water, fingerprints, and smudges for easier cleaning of the lens surface.
- Rounded nine-blade diaphragm produces a pleasing out-of-focus quality when working with shallow depth of field techniques.
- An electromagnetic diaphragm system is used to ensure more consistent exposure results, especially at higher continuous shooting rates.
- Compatible with the optional TAP-in Console for updating the lens’ firmware as well as adjusting focus settings via the TAP-in Utility software.
- SILKYPIX Developer Studio software for Tamron is included with the lens, which, aside from enabling basic raw processing and image adjustments, works to specifically correct for various aberrations, including color fringing, distortion, and peripheral light fall-off, using dedicated optical data from Tamron’s SP-series of lenses.